Do you have a debt problem that’s keeping you in fear, stressing you out, and keeping you from moving forward in life?
Even a small amount of debt can tie your stomach in knots and continually eat at your subconscious. But if you have a lot of debt it can really mess with your emotions in a major way. It will strike fear in you that will change the way you look at life, making you feel constantly stressed and even depressed.
That fear can cause all kinds of thoughts to run through your head. You ask yourself “How did I get myself into this mess? I’ll never be able to dig myself out of this hole!”
You feel hopeless, you can’t sleep, you see no end in sight.
That’s the enemy getting into your head and your spirit, stealing your hope and keeping you in bondage.
I know because I’ve been there.
Fear and Debt Can Be Overcome
So what can you do to overcome that gnawing fear that comes with being deep in debt?
First, you should realize just what fear is. Fear, when it comes down to it, is a lack of hope. It’s letting the “what if’s” overtake you to the point that you are ruled by them. I’ve even heard some people call fear and worry “temporary atheism“.
I think that’s a very accurate description.
But if you’re a person of faith, one thing you should remember is that there is always hope when you trust God with your situation.
So if you’re deep in debt and the fear has kicked into high gear, how do you get past it? What do you need to do to have peace instead of fear, freedom instead of bondage?
Recognize, Realize, and Understand Fear
There are three things you can do to get started:
- Recognize that fear is a choice, it’s your perception and your reaction to the circumstances that you’re in.
- Realize that you are in control of how you perceive and react to what’s going on in your life and that you have the power to change that.
- Understand that fear is not what God wants for your life. Fear is from the enemy, and the debt that’s at the root of that fear is something that you need to deal with through taking action.
But what actions do you need to take to make fear take a hike? There are two. Let me lay it down for you:
- Spiritual Action- Start getting rid of the fear by concentrating on the spiritual. Since fear is a lack of hope, then trusting in God to see you through your circumstance is the best way to restore your hope. Having God on your side will always serve to increase hope and decrease fear.
- Physical Action- Start dealing with the debt. Fear and stress cause paralysis that will keep you from taking action to correct your debt problem. But once you start dealing with the spiritual part, it becomes easier to take concrete physical action by making a plan to eliminate your debt, then working that plan to completion.
It’s not rocket science. However, it does take a little work.
But the cool thing is that the more concrete actions you take toward getting out of debt, it will also have the result of eliminating the fear and stress that come along with it.
When you have a plan written on paper, its proof right in front of your eyes that you actually can get out of debt.
When you work that plan and start seeing results, fear is on the run!
There’s nothing like action and results to get fear out of your life for good!
Have you had to deal with fear and stress because of debt?
Tell me about it by leaving a comment.
Help With Fear and Debt
If you’re struggling with debt and fear, help is available.
You can contact me at any time and I’m always willing to help with advice or encouragement.
You can email me, or use the SpeakPipe tab at the far right side of your screen to send me a voice message through your computer.
You can also check out my Celebrating Financial Freedom “get out of debt” course. It’s now available in a new online video format! You can learn more and watch the introductory video here on the course home page.
More Posts on Debt